Research Opportunities and Awards
The Lloyd A. Fallers Fund for Undergraduate Anthropological Research
Made possible by a generous donation from alumnus Dale F. Eickelman
Formerly The Foundation for Advancement of Anthropology and History Summer Research Grants
- Halpern, Seraphina
- Lyu, Echo
- Mazidabadifarahani, Navid
- Balderas, Emilio: Space-Time, Race-Time: System Impacted Theories of Time (Faculty Sponsor: Brotherton)
- Burton, Miles: Occupying a Nation in Defeat: General Whitney's Airway & A Jeep Over Bumpy Roads (Faculty Sponsor: Gal & Kelly)
- Cooper, Jordan: Contemporary Indigenous Activists in Bolivia. The State & Colonialism (Faculty Sponsor: Jobson)
- Gonzales, Adriana: Black Geographies in Borikén (Puerto Rico) and the Caribbean (Faculty Sponsor: Jobson)
- Morgan, Hunter: Rails of Change: The Eco-Aesthetics of Economic Transformation in Chicago's Millennium Park (Faculty Sponsor: Gal)
- Solorio, Camrick: MOGRA's Transnational Music Communities in Tokyo, Japan (Faculty Sponsor: Fisch)
- Standa, Jacob: A Genealogical Critique of Geertzian Approaches to the Study of 'Javanese Religion' (Faculty Sponsor: Palmié)
- Tan, Samuel: Professionalizing the Hustle Among Entrepreneurial Singaporean Youth (Faculty Sponsor: Nakassis)
- Amanda Chacón, UC ‘24
- Adriana G. Gonzales, UC ‘21
- Sarah Fineman, Taiwan, English Teaching Assistant Award, UC ‘20
IIE Fulbright US Student Program
- Andres Cruz Leland, UC ‘20
Pozen Center for Human Rights Dr. Aizik Wolf Post-Baccalaureate Fellowship
- Michelle Mu Yang, UC ‘20
Pozen Center Human Rights BA Fellow
- Emilio Eduardo Balderas, UC '21
The Department annually awards two prizes for the best undergraduate honor's thesis papers in sociocultural/linguistic and archaeological/physical anthropology.
Lichtstern BA Essay Prize
(Social Cultural/Linguistic Anthropology)
- 2023 Sydney Knight: "In Pursuit of 'Clean Water': An analysis of counterculture, diet, and escapism on a commune in Hawai'i"; Faculty Sponsors: Winchell and Palmiè
- 2023 Nicole Zhong: "Connections on the Line: Community Care Within Suicide Hotlines in Hong Kong"; Faculty Sponsors: Takabvirwa and Ma
- 2020 Sophia Fisher: "Caring for the Hyperobject: Climate Change and Confusion Among University of Chicago Undergraduates"
- 2019 Elena Peterman: “Managing the Biocultural: Nature, Knowledge, and Governance in the Oaxacan Forestry Sector”
- 2019 Kathryn Yin: “Becoming Tree: Toward a Transductive Politics of Virtual Reality”
Dahlberg BA Essay Prize
- 2023 Jacky Xiyuan: "Tillya Tepe: Constructing Identities on Cultural Crossroads"
Faculty Sponsors: Newman and Stein
- 2020 Iris Jacobs: "Taking the Skeletons Out of the Closet: Contested Authority and Human Remains Displays in the Anthroplogy Museum"
- 2019 Henry Bacha: “Resistance through Re-Articulation: The Extirpation of Idolatries Campaigns and the Rise of the Cult of the Saints in Cusco, Peru”
At the end of each academic year the department hosts a symposium where graduating seniors with a major in Anthropology (double majors and BA/MAPSS students included) can present their research in a professional setting and gain conference experience. The event is open to the entire university community and is followed by a department celebration attended by faculty, majors, and graduate students.