For tuition and fees, see here. All students admitted to the Ph.D. program are covered by the university’s Graduate Aid Initiative (GAI). GAI funding covers the first five years of tuition and student health insurance for all those who matriculate. Most of the students admitted in anthropology also receive a combination of teaching salary and stipend for the first five years of their program in the amount of $23,000 per year plus summer supplements of $3000 per year after years one, two, three, and four. Application for GAI support is entered along with the application for admission.

The University of Chicago’s financial aid program is designed to help students plan for the expenses of graduate education. In distributing aid each year, the University presumes that fellowships will be renewed for students who have demonstrated strong performance. For additional support during the first years of graduate study, students are strongly encouraged to apply for non-University fellowships, including National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowships and Ford Foundation Fellowships. Some international students may be eligible for graduate scholarships from their own countries, and should apply for these. Many students also receive Foreign Language and Areas Studies (FLAS) Title VI Fellowships to study in East Asia, Latin America, the Middle East, Russia and Eastern Europe, or South Asia. For more detailed information on fellowships and grants from external sources, consult the Fellowship Directories on this website.

Teaching assistantships are seldom available for beginning graduate students, but course assistantships and teaching internships are open to more advanced graduate students as part of their predoctoral preparation. Beginning graduate students can sometimes serve as part-time research assistantships paid at hourly rates, of which the faculty in the Department of Anthropology and other units in the University have a continuing need. Under the terms of GAI funding, all graduate students must teach in some capacity during part of their graduate career, and there are many opportunities for teaching at the University of Chicago. Teaching may take the form of teaching assistantships, internships, or lectureships, or students may serve as undergraduate program preceptors or writing tutors. Students also find other jobs throughout the University — from the Library to the Business School.

Student loan programs, underwritten by the federal government, have long been important sources of student support. The University of Chicago currently participates in several major loan programs, all of which are restricted by law to U.S. citizens and permanent residents with demonstrated financial need. (For more information, visit the Student Loan Administration Office website.)